Friday, April 13, 2007

all your Wii are belong to us

Yeah, I know I said I wasn't going to buy a new game console this year, but hear me out.

As you know, I have two kids. Justin is 14, and Hope is now 8, and incidentally- I'm 40. So I can officially decree my midlife crisis and if I want to buy a Wii, I'll gol-darn buy a Wii! Yeah, you heard me!
Oh- and the kids wanted it.

I had no interest in updating graphics for $600 "a la" PS3- and I still don't. If I want to play great looking games then I have a bad ass PC for games like Oblivion and The Battle for Middle Earth. Heck, even some of my old PC games like "Aquanox" and "Secret Weapons Over Normandy" look better than anything the PS3 has out right now. Sorry- no sale.

The Wii is a return to gameplay and that is what attracted me. At the moment the graphics are simply functional and take a backseat to control, but what you get is something closer to imersion.

Imersion.

That is something I haven't felt in a long time. It is a concept that sold me a Playstation all those years ago after I rented one from Blockbust and tried out games like Descent and Tomb Raider. That feeling of the living room metling away and looking through the eyes of the screen at my new world has returned- albeiet with a silly name.

My son tells me that Nintendo development follows a cycle of "Revolution/Evolution," and the Wii is the new Revolution with a promissing "Evolution" on the way. In much the same way that the Super NES was the evolution of the NES, I expect the next generation of Nintendo's Wii to be an apex in gaming history, and I'll likely be standing in a line in a late November three or four years from now with my pre-order ticket in hand.

Now if you're really smart you've probobly already figured out that I am just supplying justification for breaking my staunch hard-line refusal to by a new game console. But if you are really, really, really smart- you'll just shut up and join me for a midnight session of Wii sports Bowling practice.
Hey, I gotta get in some hours cause the boy is kicking my ass.


G-man

No comments: