Friday, February 15, 2008

Split Review

I checked in with my mom yesterday, who is still reading Split, (which is available now at LULU.com for those of you who can't wait for it to appear on Amazon or Barnes and Noble).

She hasn't read everything, maybe a story or two each week, but here are her impressions so far:

Her favorite stories in the anthology- (Aside from the obvious high praise regarding her grandson's Knowledge story): Fade to Grey, and Prisoner of Time.

As a mother, she could really relate to Prisoner, and when I first asked her about her favorites she said she liked the one by "Teresa Laws," and then told me the title. Teresa is one of our contributing authors, and I'm sure she will be glad to know that she now has "name recognition" among our early (that is, first) readers.

Regarding Fade to Grey, from contributing author Kelli Meyer: My mother said she was so shocked and surprised by the events of the story that she would stop reading and start over from the beginning, "then I'd cry a little bit, and keep going." She said the story was "horribly believable," and that she could really picture something like that happening, and is sure that it has, but, given the circumstances, we would never hear about it, because "families are so good at keeping such nasty secrets". If you'd like to know more about the story, then why don't you order a copy of the book? :)

I told her to keep reading and asked if she would like to submit a review to LuLu when she is done. She said she'd love to, and I'll get all the information from her next week.

Overall she says she loves the book, because the stories are just short enough to enjoy when she has a break, but the themes and ideas are thought provoking enough to stay with her for several days, and this is coming from a woman who struggles with memory loss.

I can't think of a better compliment.

Well, so far, I think that should count for one satisfied customer :)

Let's hope there are many more.

Gary

No comments: