Wednesday, September 30, 2009

THE ODYSSEY


"It's not the destination God is interested in, it's how you make the journey."

Yeah, I know. I haven't had much to say for a while, but that doesn't mean I'm not working. Actually, Kelli's the one who's been working, but until she is done, I'm not writing another sentence on Good Hope.
Allow me to explain.

This summer, one of our Humble Fiction Cafe' writers, Kelli Meyer, had the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to attend Odyssey, the Fantasy Writing Workshop.(Click on the title of this post to visit the web site.)
Now, let me tell you, Odyssey is a big deal.
It's a very exclusive workshop that only allows the best and brightest to attend, and 53% of Odyssey graduates go on to become published authors.
Kelli was honored to be accepted, and spent six weeks in New England polishing her writing, and learning the art of critique. Since her return, our group has hung on her every word at a series of classes where she has offered up the condensed version of what she learned at Odyssey. At each class I find new concepts, better understanding, and clarity into my own issues with writing, so much so, that I have thrown out my first draft of Good Hope. Well, actually it's in a file at my writing desk, but I have "let it go" for all other intents and purposes, and I am almost ready to attack the story again from a very fresh and rejuvenated point of view.

Kelli has two more classes to teach, and November is rapidly approaching, which normally means a new project for National Novel Writing Month. However, this year I'm sitting NaNoWriMo out, and dedicating my time to Good Hope with my new found education and understanding, courtesy of Kelli and her excellent classes.

So, I'm not slacking, I'm learning, I'm preparing- I'm running sprints before the big race.

I was reminded tonight of Plato's famous line "The unexamined life is not worth living." Rest assured that right now, I am examining my character's lives and the world that they live in so I will have a better story to tell, and a better story to give to you, and I know you will thank me for the effort.

If I may paraphrase Plato, "The uneducated writer is not worth reading."

No comments: