Friday, February 29, 2008

National Novel Editing Month!

Yes kids, it's that time again!

National Novel Writing month has long since passed us, and if you can remember way back to November 2007, you may even recall that you wrote a novel (or at least attempted one) in that cool, gray month! If so, then get it out, dust it off, and get your inner editor out of the trunk in the basement. It's time to turn loose that nitpicking, insufferable prat!

National Novel Editing Month (or NaNoEdMo for short) begins tomorrow, March 1st!

Much like the goal for novel writing, the goal of this exercise is to log at least 50 hours of editing during the month of March. I did it last year, and while it was the single hardest writing task I have ever undertaken, it produced enough of a coherent story from my 2006 NaNoWriMo novel to give it life here in 2008. I just entered it into the Fort Bend Writer's Guild Spring Novel contest!

My only fear is that they will love the first two chapters that I submitted...and ask for the rest.

The "rest" is not ready, so I am using "EdMo" to get it prepared, in the event that a fabulously wealthy, literary agent from Fort Bend county should show up on my doorstep and demand that I allow him to present my heartbreaking work of genius to Harper Collins.

Care to join me?

No, not in delusions- in editing.

Head over to http://www.nanoedmo.net/xoops2/ and sign up, or if you're just curious, check out the pages and see the bizarre cast of characters that shows up for this annual event of self-abuse and loathing.

Best regards for a safe and sane March! (isn't that the name of the mad hare in Alice in Wonderland?)

Gary

2 comments:

Humble Fiction Cafe said...

Hey Gary,
I know you're busy but,
You've been tagged... Your challenge is to write 10 ways you know a story has been written by you. Check out the rules at Humble Fiction Cafe.
Dorlana

GmanD said...

How dare you add to my hysteria! That reminds me, I need to update all of my Def Lepard music to MP3.
-Great. Now I have that...

Gary